加油站偶遇的老人
This was several years ago, but I remember this kindness very clearly.
這是幾年前的事情了,但我還清晰的記得自己感受到的友善。I was at a Jiffy Lube one morning getting an oil change for my car,
有天早上,我在汽車保養店裏給車換機油and an older man with a heavy Southern drawl came in.
一個老人走進店裏,説話拖着深沉的南方長音。
They were busy, so after ten minutes or so, he starts up small talk with me.
店裏的人很忙,大概十分鐘之後,他開始跟我閒聊起來I find out he's from Texas, traveling with a construction crew .
我瞭解到,他來自德克薩斯州,跟一支施工隊一起來到這裏jokingly say "You must make good money to drive that beautiful truck.
我開玩笑道,“你開的卡車真漂亮,想來你一定收入不菲Tell me how to get in to the field!"
“告訴我,怎麼做才能走向成功?”He says yes, but it wasn't easy to get there.
他説自己的收入確實還不錯,可是想要到這一步卻並非易事。I tell him I'm in my second year of teaching
我告訴他,這是我教書生涯的第二年and haven't gotten there yet,
我離人生成功還差得遠so if he needs some part-time help, I could use the work.
所以,如果他需要兼職,我很願意接活兒He genuinely looked heartbroken,
老人臉上露出真誠的悲憫之色saying "You're teaching the next generation and you need another job?"
他説,“你在教育我們的下一代,可你卻需要另一份工作,才能養活自己?”We keep talking, the mechanic pulls him away to get approval on some repairs.
我們接着閒聊,店裏的技工把老人叫過去,請他同意為他的車做一些修理A few moments later, the mechanics come get me
過了一會兒,店裏的技工朝我走過來and never asked for any approvals or pay on my vehicle.
不過,他們沒有向我徵求任何關於修理工作的同意,也沒有找我支付修理費I see the receipt , and my car had received a premium oil change, balance and rotation on my tires, a new filter, and a new battery.
我看到了賬單,店裏給我的車換上了優質的機油,為輪胎做了平衡和定位,換了一個新濾清器,還裝了新電池The services were not cheap.
這套維護可不便宜。The older man smiles at me, gives me a hug, and says
老人衝我微笑,給了我一個擁抱,然後説"My daughter is your age. “
我女兒跟你差不多大,You're doing a good service and deserve a better wage.
你所做的事情非常重要,你值得得到更高的報酬I just wanted to give you a little pick-me-up."
我只是想給你一點小小的鼓勵