一分鐘英語 第140期:Fair Weather Friend
Welcome to English in a minute.
歡迎來到《一分鐘英語》欄目!If you listen to American English, you might hear this phrase: Fair Weather Friend
如果你聽美式英語,你可能會聽到這個短語:酒肉朋友What do weather and friends have to do with each other? Listen and find out:
天氣和朋友相互之間有什麼聯絡呢?讓我們聽聽看
Bill sure was friendly when he needed our help moving to his new house.
當比爾需要我們幫他搬入新居的時候,他真的非常友好。But, since we asked him to help us move, we can't reach him.
但是,當我們叫他幫我們搬家的時候,我們卻找不到他。I have always thought he was a fair weather friend.
我一直覺得他就是一個酒肉朋友。He is only a friend when he needs something. You can't count on him.
當他需要某些東西時就是朋友,我們指望不上他。Fair weather is good weather.
Fair weather是指好的天氣。A person who is a fair weather friend is loyal in good times, but not when things get difficult.
一個酒肉朋友的意思是,他只在順利的日子裡是朋友,不幸的日子裡就不再是朋友了。So if you are in trouble or facing tough times, a fair weather friend probably won't stick by your side.
因此,如果你在困難時刻需要幫助,一個酒肉朋友是不會站在你身邊的。And that's English in a minute.
以上就是今天的《一分鐘英語》欄目!