迷你對話學地道口語第1899期:經歷磨難或痛苦嘛
第一,情景對話
A: I hear you are planning to go abroad?
聽說你打算出國?
B: Yeah. I'm making preparations.
是的。我正在準備。
A: Have you thought it over? It's not easy to live in a strange country.
你考慮好了嗎?在一個陌生的國家生活不是一件容易的事。
B: I know. But I want to see more while I'm young.
我知道。但我想在年輕的時候多見識見識。
A: I agree. Going through the mill in one's life is not a bad thing.
A我同意你的看法。一個人在生活中經受些磨難倒不是什麼壞事。
第二,詞海拾貝
go through the mill
變異:be through the mill
exp. To experience a very difficult period in your life with many problems.(經歷磨難或痛苦)
e.g. She's been through the mill these last few years — the collapse of her marriage and her career and a serious illness on top of that.
在過去的幾年裡,她經歷了磨難和痛苦:家庭的分裂,事業的崩潰,除此之外,還患上重病。
e.g. It's been an incredibly tough tour and we have all been through the mill.
這是一次非常艱難的旅行,我們都經歷了磨難。
e.g. I went through the mill as a kid in high school.
當我還是個高中生的時候,我經歷了很多磨難。
第三,語彙積累
1.go abroad:出國
e.g. He saved up his money so that he might go abroad for his vacation.
他攢錢以便他能到國外度假。
e.g. Mark was going for the scholarship in order to go abroad.
馬克想拿到獎學金出國唸書。
2.make a preparation:準備
e.g. Then what should a secretary do to make a preparation for a meeting?
那麼祕書應做些什麼樣的準備工作呢?
e.g. Driven beyond endurance, they led the villagers to arm themselves and make a preparation for action.
他們忍無可忍,領導鄉親們拿起武器準備行動。
3.think over:認真考慮
e.g. Think over the matter and then make a decision.
這件事情斟酌斟酌再定。
e.g. Elinor was then at liberty to think over the representations of her mother.
埃莉諾此時能自由地去思考她母親的陳述了。
e.g. I'll think over your suggestion again.
我將再次仔細考慮你的建議。
in a strange country:在異國他鄉,在一個陌生的國家