The english we speak(BBC教学)第116期:Head over heels 陷入情网
Neil: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Neil and … I am waiting for Li.
尼尔:大家好,欢迎来到地道英语节目,我是尼尔,我正在等李。Li: Ouch. And I'm Li, here on the floor. I went head over heels but…but I'm ready to present the programme, Neil.
李:哎哟。我是李,我在地板上。我摔倒了……不过我准备好主持节目了,尼尔。Neil: Are you okay, Li? Let me help you up.
尼尔:李,你还好吗?我来帮你站起来吧。
Li: Thank you. I appreciate you helping me to stand up.
李:谢谢你。很感谢你帮我起来。Neil: I am sorry that you fell over like that. You sounded so cheerful… so you are head over heels Li? Who is the lucky guy?
尼尔:你那样摔倒我真感到难过。你听起来很兴奋……所以李,你陷入情网了?那个幸运的家伙是谁?Li: The lucky guy? What do you mean, Neil?
李:幸运的家伙?尼尔,你是什么意思?Neil: Well, the one you are head over heels in love with. Is it anyone I know?
尼尔:那个你疯狂爱上的人啊。是我认识的人吗?Li: Anyone you know? I don't know what you are talking about, Neil. I have just fallen flat on my face…
李:你认识的人?尼尔,我不知道你在说什么。我只是刚刚摔倒了……Neil: You said that you are head over heels. This is an expression we use in English to say that you had such a dramatic fall that your head was over your feet and we use it when we want to say that someone fell madly in love.
尼尔:你说你陷入情网了。在英语中我们用这个表达方式来表示你摔了个倒栽葱,而我们在说某人疯狂地坠入爱河的时候也会使用这个词语。Li: Oh, that's when we say that someone has fallen head over heels for another person.
李:哦,就是说可以形容某个人疯狂地爱上另一个人。Neil: You can also imagine you are a gymnast doing somersaults or cartwheels. Your head goes literally over your heels.
尼尔:你可以想象你是正在翻筋斗和做侧手翻的体操运动员。这就是字面意义上的头越过了脚。Li: Yeah…It makes sense: when you are in love it might mean that you are so happy that you feel like jumping around.
李:没错……这可以说得通:当你陷入爱河时,你感到非常开心,以致于你想跳跃。Examples
例子They met at a dinner party and fell head over heels for each other.
他们在一个晚宴上相识,然后就疯狂地爱上了彼此。He is gorgeous! I am head over heels in love with him!
他太帅了!我完全迷上他了!She is a hopeless romantic: she is always head over heels in love with somebody.
她是一个无可救药的浪漫主义者:她总是会疯狂地爱上某个人。Neil: So, who is it Li? Who have you fallen head over heels in love with? I promise I won't tell a soul.
尼尔:所以,那个人是谁?是谁让你坠入情网了?我保证我不会告诉别人。Li: Neil, I came here very excited to present a programme with you but I must say that now my head hurts…
李:尼尔,我对来这里和你一起主持节目感到很兴奋,不过我必须要说现在我的头很疼……Neil: Your head hurts?
尼尔:你头疼?Li: … my feet are sore…
李:我的脚很酸……Neil: Your feet are sore? What's been going on?
尼尔:你的脚很酸?怎么了?Li: … but I am certainly not in love with this bin that made me fall over.
李:我肯定没有爱上这个害我摔倒的箱子。Neil: Oh… Okay. So no juicy gossip for us today. Well, we'd better say goodbye.
尼尔:哦……好吧。不要八卦我们今天的对话。我们最好结束节目跟大家说再见吧。Li: No juicy gossip! And let's finish the programme because I'd better go and have an aspirin. Bye!
李:不要说八卦!我们结束节目吧,因为我最好去吃片阿斯匹林。再见!重点讲解:
1. head over heels
深陷情网;
eg. The newly-weds are head over heels in love.
这对新婚夫正情溶意蜜。
eg. Tom was soon head over heels in love with her.
汤姆一下子就爱上了她,而且为之倾倒。
2. fall flat on one's face
摔倒;跌倒;
eg. A man walked in off the street and fell flat on his face, unconscious.
一个男人从街上走进来,趴倒在地,不省人事。
eg. Stepping forward to receive my award what do I do but fall flat on my face.
我走上前去领奖,却没料到摔趴在地上。
3. make sense
可以理解;讲得通;
eg. I can't follow these instructions--they don't make sense.
我不理解这些指示——根本讲不通嘛。
eg. Up to a point , Prof Goldstein's results make sense.
到此为止,哥尔斯坦教授的实验结果都合情合理。
4. be in love with sb.
对…倾心;爱慕;热恋;
eg. It is said that Jenny is in love with Tom.
据说詹妮正在和汤姆恋爱。
eg. In a word, Sophia was in love with him to distraction.
简单一句话,苏菲亚爱他爱得神魂颠倒了。
5. had better do sth.
(用于建议、警告、威胁、发表意见等)最好做某事;
eg. You had better have another think.
你最好再想一想。
eg. You had better go home and rest up a little.
你最好回家休息一下。