當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 口語英語學習材料 > 點滴英語天天學第361期:雅思詞彙(221)

點滴英語天天學第361期:雅思詞彙(221)

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 6.48K 次

1. Expression:wipe one’s boots on someone

ing-bottom: 66.56%;">點滴英語天天學第361期:雅思詞彙(221)

Explanation:To insult someone. (侮辱……)

Example:I'm sorry for what I said and I never meant to wipe my boots on you.

我爲我所說的話道歉,我不是有意要侮辱你。

She repaid him for his wiping his boots on her by not inviting him to the party.

她以不邀請他參加晚會的方式報復他對她的侮辱。

They said Kelso got some rascally adventurer, some Belgian brute, to wipe his boots on his son-in-law in public.

他們說是Kelso指使某個下賤的冒險家,這個冒險家是一個比利時惡棍來當衆侮辱他的女婿。

Your masters will have you in their power to wipe his boots on you.

你們的老闆還是有權侮辱你們。

2. Expression:over shoes over boots

Explanation:Fully committed to continuing something, especially in a reckless manner. (一不做,二不休)

Example:I know you are set on these travel plans, over shoes, over boots, but I don't think it's a good idea to drive today—a lot of streets are flooded!

我知道你定了旅行計劃。一不做,二不休,但我認爲今天開車不是個好主意——許多街道都被水淹沒了!

Over shoes, over boots. I must fight to the bitter end.

一不做,二不休,我必須拼命到底。

3. Expression:lift a finger

Explanation:To make the slightest effort to do something, especially to help someone. (盡舉手之勞)

Example:I know you're watching TV, but can you perhaps lift a finger and help me bring in these grocery bags?

我知道你在看電視,但你能盡舉手之勞去幫我把這些購物袋拿進來嗎?

I clean every weekend, and you never lift a finger to help!

我每個週末都打掃衛生,而你卻從來不盡舉手之勞來幫我!

Even though he knew some of the tenants were suffering greatly, the landlord was so hard that he did not lift a finger to help them.

即使房主知道有些房客生活很困難,他還是非常冷漠,不盡一點舉手之勞去幫他們一把。