當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 英語突破情景對話 > 迷你對話學地道口語第2048期:突然停止,中途停下

迷你對話學地道口語第2048期:突然停止,中途停下

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.3W 次

情景對話:

A: My father beat me yesterday.

ing-bottom: 65.78%;">迷你對話學地道口語第2048期:突然停止,中途停下

昨天爸爸打了我。

B: I think he only stopped short of hurting you.

我想他只是點到爲止,並沒有傷害你。

A: Anyways, he taught me a lesson.

不管怎麼說,他把我教訓了一頓。

B: He hopes you'll behave yourself.

他是希望你能規矩些。

第一, 詞海拾貝

stop short of something

exp. Nearly do something but not actually do something. (險些做出某事,差點就做某事

e.g. She stopped short of calling the president a liar.

她差一點兒就指責校長說謊。

e.g. The manager told her that he was unhappy with her work, but he stopped short of dismissing her from her job.

經理告訴她——他對她的工作不滿意,但他並沒有解僱她。

e.g. He can be ruthless in getting what he wants but I believe he would stop short of blackmail.

他這個人爲達到目的是心黑手辣的, 但我認爲他還不至於使用敲詐手段。

第二, 語彙積累

1. stop short:突然停止,中途停下

e.g. The sudden blaring of the alarm caused me to stop short on my way down the hall.

突然的警報聲使我在下樓時突然停住了腳步。

When I read how many people had died, I stopped short and stared in disbelief at the newspaper.

當我看到死亡人數時,我突然停了下來,難以置信地盯着報紙。

2. behave oneself:遵守規矩

e.g. The mother bade the child behave himself.

媽媽叮嚀孩子要守規矩。

e.g. He seems to have a wife with him, so I imagine he has to behave himself.

他現在似乎有老婆隨行,所以我想他得收歛他的行爲了。

e.g. Can't you make your boy behave himself?

你不能教你的小孩規規矩矩些嗎?

3. teach someone a lesson:教訓某人

e.g. If he did not stop his nonsense, they would teach him a lesson he would never forget.

如果他再不停止胡言亂語,他們就要狠狠地教訓他一番,叫他終身難忘。

e.g. They taught the governor a lesson by giving him a good beating.

他們狠狠地揍了總督一頓,給了他一個教訓。