當前位置

首頁 > 英語閱讀 > 英語故事 > 雙語暢銷書《我是馬拉拉》第15章:離開河谷(5)

雙語暢銷書《我是馬拉拉》第15章:離開河谷(5)

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 1.92W 次

Some people believe that the Pashtuns descend from one of the lost tribes of Israel, and my father said, 'It is as though we are the Israelites leaving Egypt, but we have no Moses to guide us.'

雙語暢銷書《我是馬拉拉》第15章:離開河谷(5)
有些人認爲普什圖人是一支早已失落的以色列部落的後裔,面對此情此景,父親則說:“看起來,我們就像是要離開埃及的以色列人一樣,但我們缺了摩西領路。”

Few people knew where they were going, they just knew they had to leave.

多數人都不知道自己要去往哪裏,他們只知道他們必須離開。

This was the biggest exodus in Pashtun history.

這是普什圖人史上最大的一次移民潮。

Usually there are many ways out of Mingora, but the Taliban had cut down several huge apple trees and used them to block some routes so everyone was squashed onto the same road.

正常情況下,要離開明戈拉有很多條路可以選擇。但是,塔利班砍倒了幾棵巨大的蘋果樹,擋住了部分去路,因此,所有人不得不擁擠在同一條道路上。

We were an ocean of people.

現場真的是人山人海。

The Taliban patrolled the roads with guns and watched us from the tops of buildings.

塔利班持槍在道路上巡邏,也在建築物的屋頂上設置了哨卡,監視着我們。

They were keeping the cars in lines but with weapons not whistles.

他們命令羣衆把車排成一列,而他們用來發號施令的,不是哨笛,而是武器。

'Traffic Taliban,' we joked to try and keep our spirits up.

“塔利班交警。”我們試着用玩笑來打起精神。

At regular intervals along the road we passed army and Taliban checkpoints side by side.

隔着差不多的距離,我們接連通過軍隊與塔利班的檢查哨。

Once again the army was seemingly unaware of the Taliban's presence.

看起來,軍方再一次沒有注意到塔利班就在他們眼前。

Maybe they have poor eyesight,' we laughed, 'and can't see them.'

“可能他們視力太差,”我們大笑着說,“差到看不見塔利班的人。”

The road was heaving with traffic.

車輛的擁塞造成道路擁堵。

It was a long slow journey and we were all very sweaty crammed in together.

旅途漫長,我們全身溼黏黏地擠在一起。

Usually car journeys are an adventure for us children as we rarely go anywhere.

通常,汽車旅行對於我們這些很少出門的孩子來講,不亞於一場探險。

But this was different. Everyone was depressed.

但這次不同,每個人都很沮喪。

Inside Dr Afzal's van my father was talking to the media, giving a running commentary on the exodus from the valley.

在阿富扎醫生的汽車上,父親正在跟媒體朋友通話,來給這場河谷版的《出埃及記》做實況評論。

My mother kept telling him to keep his voice down for fear the Taliban would hear him.

母親一再要求他壓低音量,擔心塔利班會聽見他的聲音。

My father's voice is so loud my mother often jokes that he doesn't need to make phone calls, he can just shout.

父親的嗓門很大,母親常開玩笑說他根本不用打電話,用喊的辦法對方就可以聽得到。

Finally we got through the mountain pass at Malakand and left Swat behind.

我們總算穿越了馬拉根德的山隘,把斯瓦特拋在了身後。

It was late afternoon by the time we reached Mardan, which is a hot and busy city.

天色向晚時,我們抵達馬爾丹,這是一座悶熱而繁忙的城市。