當前位置

首頁 > 基礎學英語 > 零基礎學英語 > 除了表示轉身,turn around原來還有這種意思?!

除了表示轉身,turn around原來還有這種意思?!

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.28W 次

英文中不僅有一詞多義,還有詞組多義的情況,今天來看10個常見的多義詞組。

ing-bottom: 72.34%;">除了表示轉身,turn around原來還有這種意思?!

Turn around

停止一事無成,變得越來越好

I hope the new director will turn around our failing business.
我希望新董事能夠扭轉我們失敗的業務。

We were losing in the first half but we managed to turn things around by the end of the game.
我們在上半場失利,但我們在比賽結束時設法扭轉了局面。

轉動某物或某人的方向

Turn the car around and go back to the filling station for the tank cap.
把汽車調頭並返回加油站去拿油箱蓋。

Turn around and let me dust your back.
轉身讓我幫你撣下背。

Break off

結束一段關係,結盟等

They never got along well, and after one of their bitter quarrels they finally broke off their relationship.
他們一直都相處得不好,一場激烈的爭吵後,他們終於斷絕了關係。

You shouldn't treat her like a child if you don't want her to break off with you.
如果你不想讓她和你分手,你不應該像對待孩子一樣對待她。

停止做某事

His speech wouldn't have been bad, but he suddenly broke off in the middle of a sentence and left the auditorium.
他的演講並不糟糕,但他突然在講話時中斷並離開了禮堂。

The business will go on until one of the parties breaks off.
該業務將持續到其中一方中斷。

Cut out

剪切成某種樣子

She cut her cap out of some funny old material.
她從一些有趣的舊材料上剪下帽子的樣子。

They cut out thick paper swords for the children to play with. 他們剪了厚厚的紙劍供孩子們玩耍。

刪除,移除,省略

He's too fat, he'd better cut bread and sugar out of his diet and do more exercise.
他太胖了,他最好從飲食中除去麪包和糖並且做更多的運動。

Tuck in

使某人在牀上覺得很舒服,哄孩子睡覺

She tucked the children in and said goodnight.
她將孩子裹入被中並說了晚安。

Who'll tuck me in while mummy's away?
當媽媽不在的時候誰將會抱我呢?

激動地吞下很多吃的(非正式)

The pie is ready, come on, guys, let's tuck in.
餡餅做好了,來吧,夥計們,讓我快享用美食吧。

All the guests hoped to tuck in to the finest foods at the wedding reception.
所有客人都希望在婚宴上盡情享用最美味的食物。

Give away

把某物作爲禮物贈送出去

If you won the lottery, how much would you give away to charity? 如果你贏了彩票,你會給慈善機構捐多少錢?

Sorry, we can't lower the price, we're almost giving away these products already.
對不起,我們不能降低價格,我們幾乎已經是在捐贈這些產品了。

出賣;錯失優勢

He thought nobody would recognize him in the Santa Claus costume, but his voice gave him away.
他以爲穿着聖誕老人的服裝沒有人會認出他,但是他的聲音把他出賣了。

Arsenal could hardly win after giving away two goals.
在錯失兩球之後,阿森納幾乎無法獲勝。

Take back

收回你說過的話

You can't insult her with rude words, take it all back.
你不能用粗魯的話侮辱她,把那些話全部收回。

What I said may sound critical, but I won't take anything back. 我所說的可能聽起來很有批判性,但我不會收回任何說過的話。

退還某物(例如退還給商店)

When we unpacked the china cups, we found one of them broken, so we took the whole stuff back.
我們拆開瓷杯時,我們發現其中一個破了,所以我們把整個東西都拿回來了。

Thanks for your kindness, but I don't need this ugly dress, take it back to the shop.
謝謝你的美意,但我不需要這件醜陋的裙子,把它退回商店。

Hang up

懸掛某物,將它固定在頂部並讓下面部分自由

Come in, the maid will hang up your coat.
進來,女僕會把你的外套掛起來。

Your clothes are so untidy; why didn't you hang them up last night? 你的衣服太亂了,昨晚爲什麼不掛起來呢?

放下電話,結束通話

Gosh, I forgot to ask for her number before I hung up.
天哪,我掛斷電話之前忘了問她的電話號碼。

The girl was talking and talking on the phone, but she suddenly hung up when her mother came into the room.
那個女孩在電話裏聊天,但她母親走進房間時,她突然掛了電話。

Turn in

上牀睡覺

It's late; we'd better turn in, good night.
已經很晚了,我們最好上牀睡覺,晚安。

She turned in quite early, but I stayed up and watched a film.
她很早就上牀睡覺了,但我還是熬夜看了一部電影。

上報警察關於某人的事

The robber had been hiding for weeks, but finally he decided to turn in.
強盜躲藏了好幾個星期,但最後他決定自首。

The watchman threatened to turn them in to the police unless they give him a share of the stolen goods.
看守人威脅說要把他們交給警察,除非他們給他一份贓物。

Call off

取消,停止

Quite a lot of flights were called off due to the storm last night.
由於昨夜的暴風雨,很多航班被取消了。

They called off their engagement because they couldn't agree on what rings to buy.
他們取消了訂婚,因爲他們不同意買什麼戒指。

命令停止,制止

The dog bit the postman three times before it was called off.
那條狗咬了郵遞員三次才被叫停。

We'll give in, please call off your men.
我們會讓步的,請把你們的人叫走。

Tear off

用力撕掉,撕開分開

His collar and sleeves were torn off in the street fight, but fortunately he wasn't hurt much.
在巷戰中,他的衣領和袖子被撕破了,但幸運的是他沒有受傷。

Tear off a slip over there to get your number for queuing.
在那邊撕下一張紙條去取你的排隊號。

快速脫掉衣服

When they reached the oasis, everybody tore off their burnous and jumped into the water.
當他們到達綠洲時,每個人都脫掉了他們的頭巾並一頭扎進了水中。

It was only when he tore off the burglar's mask that he saw it was a woman.
當他撕開竊賊的面具時,他才發現那是一個女人。

你還見過哪些類似詞組?