當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 實用生活英語口語 > The english we speak(BBC教學)第96期:Call it a day 到此爲止

The english we speak(BBC教學)第96期:Call it a day 到此爲止

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.94W 次

ing-bottom: 56.25%;">The english we speak(BBC教學)第96期:Call it a day 到此爲止

Jen: Hello, and welcome to The English We Speak. I'm Jennifer, and with me in the studio is... yawn... Helen.

珍:大家好,歡迎來到我們說的英語節目。我是珍妮弗,今天我們演播室請到的嘉賓是……啊……海倫。

Helen: Hi Jen... are you.a bit tired?

海倫:珍,你好……你是不是有點累?

Jen: Oh yes, I really am. I've been here since seven this morning - I think I'm ready to call it a day now.

珍:對,我確實很累。我從早上七點開始就一直在這裏工作,我想現在我準備好要結束工作回家了。

Helen: What do you want to call it? Monday? Tuesday?

海倫:你想給日子起什麼名字?週一?週二?

Jen: Oh no, I don't mean...

珍:不是,我不是那個意思……

Helen: How about Saturday? That's my favourite day. Or we could call it a new day altogether. What about Cake-day! Or Coffee-day.

海倫:週六怎麼樣?那是我最喜歡的日子。或者我們可以起個全新的名字。蛋糕日怎麼樣?或者叫咖啡日。

Jen: I don't want to rename the day. In English, if you're ready to call it a day, it means that you want to finish whatever you're doing-and usually go home.

珍:我並不想給日期重命名。在英語中,這個短語的意思是你想結束你正在做的事情,通常是指準備回家。

Helen: So you want to call it a day now? We haven't finished the programme yet.

海倫:所以你現在想結束工作回家了嗎?我們的節目還沒結束呢。

Jen: That's true. In that case, let's hear some examples of the phrase in action.

珍:沒錯。既然是這樣,我們來看看應用這個短語的其他例子。

We're getting nowhere with this–shall we call it a day and start again tomorrow?

我們沒有什麼進展,我們今天要不要先結束,明天再開始做?

I'm getting picked up from work at five, so I think I'd better call it a day.

我五點就開始工作了,所以我想我最好結束工作回家去。

Helen: I see... so if you call it a day, you decide that it's time to finish the work you're doing.

海倫:我明白了……如果你說call it a day,意思是你決定現在是結束正在做的工作的時間了。

Jen: That's right, so let's call it a day right now.

珍:沒錯,所以我們現在結束工作吧。

Helen: Alright then. Do you fancy a quick drink after work?

海倫:好的。下班後你想不想去喝一杯?

Jen: Well, I'm feeling pretty tired, but I suppose I could come out for one drink.

珍:嗯,我覺得非常的累,不過我想我可以出去喝杯酒。

Helen: Let's go then!

海倫:那我們就走吧!

Voice: Some time later...

話外音:一段時間之後……

(Nightclub music)

(夜店音樂)

Helen: Jen, look at the time-we've been here seven hours!

海倫:珍,看看時間,我們來這裏已經7個小時了!

Jen: I know! I don't know where the evening went. It's probably time to call it a night.

珍:我知道!可是我不知道晚上的時間都去哪裏了。我想我們今晚可能就到此爲止了。

Helen: I thought the phrase was 'call it a day'?

海倫:我想短語是call it a day吧?

Jen: We can also say 'call it a night' if you've been somewhere in the evening and you know it's time to go home.

珍:我們也可以說call it a night,如果你在晚上去了某個地方,而你意識到是該回家的時候了就可以用這個短語。

Helen: Well, I definitely think that you need to call it a night, then. Although look...

海倫:嗯,我當然認爲你今晚需要到此結束。雖然看起來……

Jen: What?

珍:什麼?

Helen: The sun is coming up already. We've been out on the town all night. Perhaps we should call it a day instead?

海倫:太陽已經升起來了。我們已經玩了一整晚了。也許我們應該回家了吧?

Jen: That means it's nearly time for work again! Can I call in sick, please?

珍:意思是又要到上班的時間了!請問我能打電話請病假嗎?

重點講解:
1. call it a day
到此爲止;結束;
eg. Faced with mounting debts, the decision to call it a day was inevitable.
面對着不斷增加的債務,最終難免作出將其結束的決定。
eg. I want the manager's job when he calls it a day.
等到經理不幹了之後,我想接替他的位子。
2. call it a night
今晚到此爲止;今晚就做到這裏,收工;
eg. It has been a wonderful evening! I think that we should call it a night.
真是一個美好的夜晚,我想我們該回家了。
eg. Shall we call it a night for now and continue our discussion tomorrow?
我們今晚就此結束,明天繼續討論好嗎?
3. come up
(太陽、月亮)升起;
eg. It will be so great watching the sun come up.
看着太陽冉冉升起將是十分美妙的事情。
eg. Another hour and I see the sun starting to come up in the distance.
又過了一個小時,我看到太陽開始從遠方升起。
4. on the town
(夜晚)在鬧市區玩樂;
eg. Last Saturday, I was out on the town with my mate.
上個星期六我和老友晚上去鬧市玩樂了。
eg. Tim was just arriving home from a long night on the town.
蒂姆在外面玩了一宿,剛剛到家。
5. call in sick
打電話請病假;
eg. 'Shouldn't you be at work today?' — 'I called in sick.'
“你今天不是應該上班的嗎?”“我打電話請過病假了。”
eg. I will call in sick for you. Just stay at home and rest for the day.
我會幫你打電話請病假。你今天就在家裏休息吧!