當前位置

首頁 > 英語閱讀 > 英語故事 > 雙語小說連載:《董貝父子》第六章 Part 9

雙語小說連載:《董貝父子》第六章 Part 9

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 1.41W 次

'Now then! 'said this man, happening to turn round. 'We haven't got anything for you, little girl. Be off!'
“喂!”這個人碰巧在這時轉過身來,說道,“我們沒什麼給你的,小女孩,走開吧!”
'If you please, is this the City?' asked the trembling daughter of the Dombeys.
“請問這是城裏嗎?”董貝的女兒哆嗦着,問道。
'Ah! It's the City. You know that well enough, I daresay. Be off! We haven't got anything for you.'
“不錯!這是城裏。我看你知道得很清楚嘛。走開吧!我們沒有什麼給你的。”
'I don't want anything, thank you,' was the timid answer. 'Except to know the way to Dombey and Son's.'
“謝謝您,我不想要什麼,”她膽怯地回答道,“我只是想打聽一下到董貝父子公司的路怎麼走法。”
The man who had been strolling carelessly towards her, seemed surprised by this reply, and looking attentively in her face, rejoined:
這位漫不經心、朝她信步走來的男子似乎對這個回答感到驚奇;他很注意地看着她的臉孔,問道:
'Why, what can you want with Dombey and Son's?'
“唔,打聽董貝父子公司,能從它那裏得到什麼呢?”
'To know the way there, if you please.'
“麻煩您,我想要知道到那裏 去的路怎麼走法。”
The man looked at her yet more curiously, and rubbed the back of his head so hard in his wonderment that he knocked his own hat off.
那人更加好奇地看着她;由於感到奇怪,他就十分使勁地擦着後腦,因此把帽子都擦得掉下來了。
'Joe!' he called to another man - a labourer- as he picked it up and put it on again.
“喬!”他把帽子拾起來,重新戴上,一邊向另一位男子喊道,那人是一位工人。
'Joe it is!' said Joe.
“喬在這裏!”喬說道。
'Where's that young spark of Dombey's who's been watching the shipment of them goods?'
“董貝公司的那位愉快的年輕人在哪裏?他一直在這裏監督裝運貨物的。”
'Just gone, by t'other gate,' said Joe.
“他剛剛從那個門走了,”喬說道。
'Call him back a minute.'
“把他喊回來一會兒。”
Joe ran up an archway, bawling as he went, and very soon returned with a blithe-looking boy.
喬大叫大嚷地向一個拱道跑去,很快就領回一位神色活潑快樂的男孩子。
'You're Dombey's jockey, ain't you?' said the first man.
“您是董貝手下的人,是不是?”第一位男子問道。
'I'm in Dombey's House, Mr Clark,' returned the boy.
“我在董貝公司裏工作,克拉克先生,”男孩子回答道。
'Look'ye here, then,' said Mr Clark.
“那麼,請您看看這裏,”克拉克先生說道。
Obedient to the indication of Mr Clark's hand, the boy approached towards Florence, wondering, as well he might, what he had to do with her. But she, who had heard what passed, and who, besides the relief of so suddenly considering herself safe at her journey's end, felt reassured beyond all measure by his lively youthful face and manner, ran eagerly up to him, leaving one of the slipshod shoes upon the ground and caught his hand in both of hers.
男孩子順着克拉克先生手指的方向朝弗洛倫斯走過去,心中納悶,他跟她有什麼關係(他這樣想倒也是很自然的)。但是她已經聽到了一切;除了突然覺得自己已經平安抵達旅途終點、感到寬慰外,她還從他那活潑愉快、富有朝氣的臉孔與舉止中感到無比放心,於是就熱情洋溢地向他跑去,把他的手拉到她的兩隻手裏,路上把一隻塌根鞋都走掉了。
'I am lost, if you please!' said Florence.
“對不起,我迷路了!”弗洛倫斯說道。
'Lost!' cried the boy.
“迷路了!”男孩子喊道。
'Yes, I was lost this morning, a long way from here - and I have had my clothes taken away, since - and I am not dressed in my own now - and my name is Florence Dombey, my little brother's only sister - and, oh dear, dear, take care of me, if you please!' sobbed Florence, giving full vent to the childish feelings she had so long suppressed, and bursting into tears. At the same time her miserable bonnet falling off, her hair came tumbling down about her face: moving to speechless admiration and commiseration, young Walter, nephew of Solomon Gills, Ships' Instrument-maker in general.
“是的,我是在今天早上在離這裏很遠的地方迷路的,——後來我的衣服被人取走了——我現在穿的不是我自己的衣服——我的姓名叫弗洛倫斯•董貝,我是我弟弟的唯一的姐姐——哎呀,我的天呀,請您幫幫我吧!”弗洛倫斯哭泣着,把她長久壓抑在心中的孩子的感情盡情發泄出來,眼淚汪汪地往下流淌。這時候,她的破爛的帽子掉了,頭髮蓬鬆地披散在臉上,引起船舶儀器製造商所羅門•吉爾斯的外甥、年輕的沃爾特默默無言的讚美與同情。

雙語小說連載:《董貝父子》第六章 Part 9