當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 口語英語學習材料 > 點滴英語天天學第317期:雅思詞彙(157)

點滴英語天天學第317期:雅思詞彙(157)

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 8.43K 次

1. Expression:in cahoots

ing-bottom: 66.56%;">點滴英語天天學第317期:雅思詞彙(157)

Explanation: Often secretive or conspiratorial cooperation with someone. (祕密地,陰謀地與他人合作,相互勾結,狼狽爲奸

Usage:表示與某人相互勾結,狼狽爲奸,在短語的後面用介詞with,即:in cahoots with someone

Example:It turned out that the business tycoon was in cahoots with local law enforcement to have the investigation dropped.

原來,這名商業大亨與當地執法部門串通一氣使得調查終止了。

We've been in cahoots with a company overseas who can produce the product for half the price.

我們一直和海外的一家公司祕密地合作,他們可以半價生產這樣的產品。

The mayor is in cahoots with the construction company that got the contract for the new building.

市長和那家可以得到建新建築物合同的建築公司彼此勾結在一起。

The mayor's enemies spread a rumor that he was in cahoots with gangsters.

市長的仇人散佈謠言說,市長與歹徒暗自勾結。

2. Expression:in high gear

Explanation:operating at the highest, fastest, or most efficient level. (全力進行,全力以赴

Example:We've expanded our development team and are in high gear working on our next project.

我們已經擴大了我們的開發團隊,並且正全力以赴地進行下一個項目。

Construction is in high gear all around the city as it prepares for the upcoming Olympics.

我們在爲即將到來的奧運會做準備,正全力進行着整個城市的建設。

A: When the interviewer asked me about my future plan, my head began to work in high gear. My talk was not long but hit the nail on the head, which made the interviewer quite satisfied.

當面試官問我未來的計劃時,我的大腦開始極速運轉。我說的並不長,但是說到點子上,這讓面試官非常滿意。

B: Congratulations! This time you are sure to succed.

祝賀你!這回,你一定會成功。

Explanation 2:of a vehicle, operating at a high or the highest gear. (指車輛以最高的速度運行

Example:The car started to stall going up the hill and I realized that it was still in high gear.

汽車在上山時熄火了,但我覺得它仍然是以最高速度在運轉。

You can't start out in high gear. You must work up through the low ones.

你不能以最高速起步出發,應該逐步加速。