當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 英語突破情景對話 > 點滴英語天天學第306期:雅思詞彙(166)

點滴英語天天學第306期:雅思詞彙(166)

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 3.14W 次

1. Expression:hair-raising

點滴英語天天學第306期:雅思詞彙(166)

Explanation:Frightening, chilling, or disturbing. (可怕的,令人不寒而慄的,令人不安的)

Example: Walking through that graveyard last night was quite hair-raising.

昨晚走過那片墓地真實令人不寒而慄。

Please call your dog off because the children feel hair-raising.

請把你的狗叫開,因爲孩子們覺得可怕。

He felt uncomfortable from head to foot and uneasy at heart due to the late hour, the last few exhausting days and his hair-raising escape.

夜深了,多日的疲乏與逃走的驚懼,使他身心全不舒服。

2. Expression:in tall cotton

Explanation:To be in a time or period of great success or wellbeing; to be doing very well;to be on easy street.(非常成功,做得很好,非常幸福

Example:We were in tall cotton after my wife's late uncle left us his fortune.

我妻子已故的叔叔留給我們一筆財產,我們過着非常幸福和富裕的生活。

I get some money at the track, and I’m really in tall cotton.

我在跑道邊見到一些錢,我運氣真好。

A: Don’t you remember? Two years ago, Jane’s business was in tall cotton, but she was beside herself and sucess went to her heasd. Then her business fell on the rocks and finally went to the dogs.

你還記得嗎?Jane在兩年以前生意做得非常成功,但是她忘乎所以,被成功衝昏了頭腦。接着,她的生意垮掉,最後破產了。

B: It is true that pride goes before a fall. I must remind myself of that.

真是“驕兵必敗”啊!我必須時刻提醒自己。

3. Expression:in the bag

Explanation:Achieved or won almost as a certainty. (十拿九穩的,穩操勝券的

Example:Don't start to think we've got this game in the bag, gentlemen. I've seen teams make bigger comebacks than this, so we can't let up.

別以爲我們已經穩操勝券了,先生們。我看到過球隊有比這更大的反攻,所以我們不能鬆懈。

And then, with the election all but in the bag , the report came out and changed everything.

然後,由於選舉穩操勝券,所以新聞媒體就報道了這事,可這一報道改變了一切。

The election is in the bag unless the voters find out something about my past.

除非選民們發現了關於我過去的一些事情,否則我在這次選舉中會十拿九穩地獲勝。

A: I am taking the final exam tomorrow.

我明天要參加期末考試。

B: Don’t worry, honey. You have been studying so hard these days that the exam must be in the bag for you.

寶貝,別擔心。你這些日子以來學習如此刻苦,你一定會拿下的。