當前位置

首頁 > 口語英語 > 口語英語學習材料 > 點滴英語天天學第333期:雅思詞彙(193)

點滴英語天天學第333期:雅思詞彙(193)

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 1.82W 次

1. Expression:have a wolf in the stomach

padding-bottom: 66.56%;">點滴英語天天學第333期:雅思詞彙(193)

Explanation:To be hungry to death. (餓極了

Example:My boy, I think that you have a wolf in the stomach. Breakfast will be ready as soon as the sun's up and we'll have a piping hot one. Make yourself easy about that!

好傢伙,我想你一定餓極了。 太陽一出來,早飯就好了。咱們就可以吃上一頓熱氣騰騰的飯,你儘管放心吧!(湯姆歷險記)

They have a wolf in the stomach after a day's walk that they made very short work of their supper.

他們走了一天路,餓極了,因此他們很快就把晚餐吃完了。

2. Expression:keep on the down-low

Explanation:To keep something secret; not tell other people about something. (保密

Example:Her parents wouldn’t approve of our relationship so we keep it on the down-low.

她的父母不會贊成我們之間的關係,所以我們不告訴他們。

Keep this on the down-low, Janet is planning to break up with Kevin next week.

不要告訴別人——Janet準備下周和Kevin分手。

This meeting and the entire arrangement are supposed to be kept on the down-low.

這次會議以及整個的安排應該都是保密的。

3. Expression:keep one’s ear close to the ground

Explanation:To listen for any indication of what is happening or will happen. (對一事態極其關注,密切留意

Example:I know Kim is keeping her ear close to the ground in case word gets out about the promotion.

我知道金姆一直在密切注意事態的發展,以防有關晉升的消息傳出去。

A: I'm not sure what's going to happen with this merger, so I'm keeping an ear close to the ground.

我不知道這次合併會有什麼結果,所以我會密切留意。

B: Please let me know if you hear anything.

如果你聽到什麼,請告訴我。

A:I really want to be a succesful reporter, but I don’t know what to do. Can you give me some advice?

我真的想成爲一名成功的記者,可是不知從何做起,你可以給我一些建議嗎?

B:Well, to succeed as a reporter, you should first of all keep your ear close to the ground.

嗯,要想成爲一名成功的記者,你首先要做到的就是對某些事態保持高度的關注。