當前位置

首頁 > 英語閱讀 > 英語故事 > 雙語暢銷書《艾倫圖靈傳》第3章:思考什麼是思考(32)

雙語暢銷書《艾倫圖靈傳》第3章:思考什麼是思考(32)

推薦人: 來源: 閱讀: 2.54W 次

Standing up to Mr Beuttell's ideas about his gambling system took some courage, as he was a forceful man, whose heart of gold was buried deep, with strong opinions on many subjects.

雙語暢銷書《艾倫圖靈傳》第3章:思考什麼是思考(32)

賭博系統雖然實際上沒有用,但對別特爾先生來說,這賦予他很多勇氣。他是一個很強勢的人,對金錢的慾望深埋於心,對很多事情都有自己的觀點。

An eclectic Christian tending to Theosophy, he was a great believer in the unseen world,

作爲一個虔誠的基督徒,他對看不見的世界有着強烈的信仰。

and told Alan that his invention of the Linolite electric lamp had been sent to him from beyond.

他還告訴艾倫,他的電燈設計已經寄給他了,但艾倫覺得這些知識太多太雜,

This Alan found too much to swallow.

無法吸收。

But he also had ideas about the brain, which he had formed since the early 1900s, according to which it worked on electric principles, with differences of potential determining moods.

他還有一些關於大腦的想法,自從1900年代他就開始想,基於電子原理,不同的電壓會導致不同的心情。

An electric brain! – there lay a more scientific idea.

一個電子的大腦!這就像一個科學的想法了,

They had long discussions on these lines.

於是他們在這一點上討論了很久。

Alan and Victor also went down to Sherborne together for the house supper, and after Christmas Alan wrote to Blamey, saying:

聖誕節過後,艾倫寫信給布來梅:

I still haven't quite decided what I am going to do when I grow up.

我仍然沒有決定長大後要做什麼,

My ambition is to become a don at King's.

我的志向是在國王學院做研究。

I am afraid it may be more ambition than profession though.

恐怕這個野心有點過大,

I mean it is not very likely I shall ever become one.

因爲我基本上不可能達到。

Glad you had a good beano for your coming of age.

很高興參加你的成年宴會。

Personally when my time comes I shall retire into a corner of England far from home and sulk.

我想等我成年了,我就跑到英格蘭的某個角落,離家裏遠點。

In other words I don't want to come of age (Happiest days of my life at school etc.)

其實,我也太不想成年。(在學校的日子是最快樂的,等等)。